Watermelon is just one of many foods known to help erectile dysfunction.
As opposed to the 5% of men in their forties who suffer from erectile dysfunction, a whopping 25% of 65 year olds report struggling with the condition. This leads a lot of people to believe that male impotence is just a part and parcel of aging.
But, this could not be further from the truth…
It is not so much the advancing years as an overall decline in health, particularly vascular health, which leads to the affliction. Not to mention, ED has many different causes and can strike at any age.
According to the doctors who write for MayoClinic.com, there is a direct link between heart health and the occurrence of erectile dysfunction. Although male impotence is seldom thought of as a lifestyle disorder that can be changed with dietary interventions, in reality food can make a marked difference to your bedroom performance.
This revelation has even sparked entire programs aimed at helping men cure erectile dysfunction with food. Probably the most well-known of these dietary ED protocols is the Erectile Dysfunction Protocol by Jason Long. It’s not a cure-all for every case of erectile dysfunction, but it’s worth investigating for men who prefer to avoid drugs and medications in favor of more natural remedies. Read the all-inclusive ED Protocol review by Newspaper Cat here.
With that in mind, let’s take a closer look at what to eat to cure erectile dysfunction. But before we do that, we need to first examine how an erection works.
The Physiology Of An Erection!
To achieve and sustain an erection, your body must first produce enough testosterone to get you in the mood. The signal of arousal sent from the brain to the penis is communicated through the nerves, so these have to work properly as well.
Once your brain tells your penis that it’s “playtime”, nitric oxide is secreted in the body which relaxes your veins and muscles and allows blood to flow into the penis. The veins trap the blood in place in order to sustain the erection.
Now, here is how the problems start…
The Testosterone Slump
If you lack mojo juice (aka testosterone), you won’t have the desire for a roll in the hay. Fortunately, testosterone deficiency is rarely the cause of male impotence. However, if you experience lack of desire and the lack of an erection, you may want to get your testosterone levels checked. Although it is possible to use testosterone supplements, you can just as easily boost the levels of this hormone naturally through dietary and lifestyle changes.
The Nitric Oxide Angle
In the majority of ED cases, a deficiency of nitric oxide is the culprit, which is why most pharmaceutical products including Viagra and Cialis aim to enhance the quantity of this compound in the body. Secreted by the lining of the blood vessels, nitric oxide levels plunge if the arteries are inflamed or clogged due to plaque deposits on their inner wall.
These conditions can not only cause erectile issues, but also serious cardiac concerns. Once again, dietary changes can help scrape the arterial walls clean and mitigate the damage done to the lining.
The Psychology Of Erectile Dysfunction
It is the head on your shoulders and not the one below your waist that rules your sexual performance. Anxiety, stress, and even performance fear are known to negatively impact your ability to get and sustain an erection.
Some men might be tempted to opt for antidepressants, but these often worsen the situation. In contrast, certain foods help bring down stress levels and can restore mental calm gently without any side effects.
Other Causes Of Erectile Dysfunction
Apart from the causes mentioned above, venous leakage, Peyronie’s Disease, pelvic injuries, and certain medication can all lead to erectile dysfunction. The most important thing to remember is that impotence is not a condition you should ignore. Although most men have qualms about discussing the issue with their doctor, doing so is an important safeguard for your relationship, your brain, and your heart.
Why Not Take The Easy Pill Route?
For one, Viagra, Levitra, and Cialis, which are the most popular products on the market for boosting nitric oxide availability, only work on 2/3rds of men. This still leaves a whopping 1/3rd who need to look elsewhere for solutions.
Moreover, even when these drugs do work, they come with the risk of undesirable side effects. According to Healthline.com, the potential side effects of taking erectile dysfunction drugs include memory loss, headaches, body pain, gastrointestinal issues, vision loss, dizziness, runny nose, flushing, and priapism. Is it worth it?
What Can You Eat To Cure Erectile Dysfunction?
If you want to avoid medications and are wondering what to eat to cure erectile dysfunction, there are many different foods that can help. Below is a partial list that can serve as a good beginner’s guide to fixing erectile dysfunction with diet.
Foods You Can Eat To Help Erectile Dysfunction
1. Leafy greens and beets: Celery, spinach, beets, and other leafy vegetables all have very high concentrations of nitrates. These are potent vasodilators that enlarge the blood vessels just like nitric oxide does and increase blood flow to the penile tissue.
2. Dark chocolate: Cocoa has long been hailed as a powerful aphrodisiac. The flavonoids in dark chocolate not only put you in the mood for sex, but also help against erection problems. Make sure to choose dark and not regular chocolate as the latter contains boat loads of sugar and fats.
3. Pistachios: Another member of the natural aphrodisiac’s club, pistachios bring the essential amino acid arginine to the table. In a study referenced by Everydayhealth.com, a handful of these delicious green nuts consumed for 3 weeks brought about a remarkable improvement in sexual performance.
4. Oysters: The shellfish makes the list thanks to its high zinc content: a mineral that plays a vital role in the production of testosterone.
5. Watermelon: This humble fruit can improve erectile dysfunction as much as Viagra; it also enhances sexual desire. The phytonutrients in the fruit aid in weight loss and are very good for your heart.
6. Tomatoes and grapefruit: Powerhouses of lycopene, these dark colored fruits improve circulation and are extremely effective against erectile dysfunction and other vascular problems.
7. Whole grains: Harvard Medical Publications has noted that a deficiency in vitamin B12 can lead to erection problems. Whole grains are a rich source of this vitamin and should be included as part of your ED diet.
8. Unsweetened tea: The catechins found in tea promote blood flow throughout the body, including to the penis.
9. Peaches and oranges: What you eat to cure erectile dysfunction should also include fruits like peaches and oranges that are rich in vitamin C. According to a study conducted at the University of Texas, vitamin C improves sperm health and motility.
10. Eggs: Have them scrambled, hardboiled, or in any other way, as eggs provide vitamins B5 and B6, which help to alleviate stress and balance hormone levels.
11. Fatty fish: Oily sea food such as tuna, mackerel, sardines and especially salmon contain Omega 3 fatty acids which help augment dopamine levels in the brain and trigger arousal.
12. Oatmeal: It is not only healthy for your heart and arteries, but oatmeal also boosts testosterone levels because it contains l-arginine.
13. Cherries: Along with blueberries and blackberries, cherries also contain flavonoids that clean arterial plaque and help restore vascular health.
14. Bananas: When we say bananas are good for sex, we mean it. The fruit contains high levels of potassium which also acts as a potent vasodilator.
15. Garlic: This Allium increases the flow of blood to the penis by boosting nitric oxide production.
16. Walnuts and almonds: Like all nuts and seeds, the arginine content of walnuts proves beneficial for fixing ED. As far as almonds go, these contain a significant amount of vitamin E which enhances nitric oxide secretion in the body.
Apart from your diet, simple lifestyle changes can go a long way in preventing and curing erectile dysfunction. For instance, an article on USnews.com clarifies how 30-60 minutes of exercise each day can drastically reduce instances of erectile dysfunction. Similarly, giving up cigarettes and booze can significantly enhance your sexual performance, improve your overall health, and help you regain your “superstar in bed” status!
Mentioned In This Article: